Search Me!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

My mother-in-law, Liz, comes out a couple times a year and turns our kitchen into *heaven*. I totally get spoiled with all the fantastic and healthy things she does. When she leaves, I go into withdrawals trying to copy what she's made and usually fail at it. Slow roasted tomatoes are one of those things I could never get quite right. You'd think it was simple.. but you're reading a blog of a girl who has mastered the art of burning water.

This is the recipe that I make - it's really yummy and almost Liz-quality!

Small Roma tomatoes
Whole unpeeled cloves of garlic
Thyme
Rosemary
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.

Halve the tomatoes lengthwise and place them and the garlic cloves on a parchment-covered baking sheet.

Lightly baste the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle a small amount of herbs on them.

Depending on how small/large the tomatoes are, bake them for 3-4 hours, keeping an eye on them toward the last hour. You want to make sure they're shriveled on the outside but still a little moist on the inside.

You can freeze them for winter, but they don't last that long in my house. I love them as snacks by themselves or with a little fresh mozzerella, basil and pimentos as a modified Caprese salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment